Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Running in the Cold

Spring is fast approaching, but we still have a few cold days to bear...

So I set out to keep running through the winter. I wanted to stick to running outside because it beat not doing any running at all or worst...running on the treadmill.

Providing it was above 33 or so degrees, this is how I did it.



Running Tights lined with fleece
Keeping it tight prevents cold air from drafting up your legs. The fleece lining does the obvious of giving you a some insulation. I would recommend Under Armour Coldgear Leggings.

A Fitted Dry Fit Shirt
Avoid cold blowing up your shirt. Wearing a dry fit shirt will keep the sweat off your body allowing you to stay warmer. Any long sleeve dry fit shirt will do, however, for those extra cold days try a mock turtle neck dry fit shirt lined with fleece-I wear Under Armour Coldgear Mock necks. And when it's cold, but not too cold I like Nike's long sleeved dri-fit shirts.

Fitted Beanie
Again, keep it fitted to prevent the draft. Any basic beanie will will work-however, go with a simple sporty top versus a fashionable piece to go with your weekend petticoat.

Fleece
Fitted, preferably, but the fleece that I've used isn't. And you don't have to go with a $100 North Face Fleece. Any fleece will do the trick.

Gloves
I don't have any great thoughts regarding gloves, just wear them. A cheap little knitted pair did the trick for me until it fell below 33. Currently, I am still doing my research on the warmest gloves I can find--no luck quite yet.

Socks and Shoes
Again, just wear them! In an upcoming post I will let you know about what running sneakers have worked for me. In terms of socks, a regular cotton pair have done the trick..

Additional Items
I love Lululemon's running shirts and jackets. When it's not too cold the shirts work great alone or when it's super cold, underneath a fleece. I have the Ice Queen long sleeve and one of the Define Jackets. Both of these items give you extra length on the sleeves and a thumb hole so you can tastefully pull your sleeves over your hands for extra warmth.

No comments:

Post a Comment