Sunday, November 15, 2015

PSA-Eat Right, Stress Less and Move!

When you lose someone young in your life it reminds you or teaches you how precious and fragile life truly is. For me it has been new territory. It's a pain like nothing else I have felt. However, it has put me on a new mission and it has intensified my passion for health and fitness. 

We talk about the dangers of drugs, alcohol abuse and violence as Life and Death issues. However, these are not the only factors that are taking so many young lives. 

We may not know decisively what are all the causes of cancer and other diseases, but we know the risk factors.
  • Poor diet
  • Lack of exercise
  • Stress
  • Environmental toxins

Nothing may be promised, but we give ourselves a better shot if we take care of our bodies.

Good schools and extracurricular programming don’t ensure children won’t grow up to live lives filled with drugs and violence, but it helps. It helps A LOT.

Eating whole foods. Shopping the perimeter of the grocery store. Staying away from processed foods. Buying foods in their natural forms---real chicken, eggs, fruits, vegetables, whole grains---make a difference. Hitting the gym a few times a week instead of happy hour makes a difference.
IT IS about Life and Death.

For the record, I am not a perfect role model of fitness and nutrition. Just earlier today a gym member caught me stuffing my face with ½ price Halloween candy! I’m quite normal. However, 90% of the time I keep bread, sweets, cheese and processed foods out of my house. If it’s there I will eat it and I will eat it fast. For me, moderation is key and keeping junk out of my house and only eating it occasionally and as a treat, is essential.

I don’t owe these habits to my own strong will. As a child, my parents told me when I had enough and NO when I tried to sneak junk into the grocery cart. My parents are an example of why it is so important to instill healthy habits in our youth. These habits are hard to break.

It is my belief that good health is at the core of every strong community.  With good health we have the potential to be good teachers, parents, activists and leaders. With good health we can be here to move mountains, build bridges and break ground. 

#longevity #rememberingthosewehavelost #gonetosoon #health #fitness #fight2bfitdc #fitdc #blacklivesmatter

No comments:

Post a Comment