Sunday, April 7, 2013

Eat Well, Run Harder..For those who love YOU

I'm sitting here with my apartment to myself. I am sweaty, and salty from my run and angry as hell. A angry BLACK and LATINA WOMAN. YES! I'm angry because I am tired. I am tired because I am frustrated that Blacks and Latinos in this country are disproportionately plagued with diabetes, heart attacks, cancer and just about everything you can think of. I am hurt. I can "deal" with seeing us get passed up for jobs, scarce in the media, and forced to work that much harder to move up in life. But I can't deal with us not being healthy and dying before our time. I can't and quiet frankly I am refusing.

And truth be told, these issues are affecting us all, Black, White, Asian, Native---none of us are immune...



I will never forget that afternoon. I was 6 years old, maybe 7. We had just moved from New York to Washington State just months earlier. My parents walked into the den and played the voice mail machine. My Tia Carmen had left a message in Spanish. I didn't understand the message, but my mother fell hysterically to her knees and my father barely broke her fall. My Tio Danny had passed from a heart attack at 30. At the time I only partially comprehended what had happened, but now at 30, I get it all to well. And I just lost my grandfather less than a year ago. And while at 93 years old my grandfather's death probably could have been attributed to a lot of issues, surely his diabetes played a significant role. And then this morning a family member calls me from the hospital to tell me he just just had a heart attack at 44. Are you kidding me? Please, I am begging you, we have to do better. We have to...

Here are the FACTS...

         The Basics...

  • In the simplest terms, a heart attack occurs when the heart doesn't get enough oxygen or no oxygen at all. This occurs when the the arteries going to the heart narrow or are blocked with a plaque made of fat, cholesterol and other substances. The narrowing prevents blood that carries the oxygen from reaching the heart. 
  • There are NO symptoms that this narrowing of the arteries, referred to as Atherosclerosis, is occurring.
  • Atherosclerosis can begin very young and progress rapidly for some in their 30s and for others in their 40s and 50s. 
  • The exact cause of atherosclerosis is unknown, however, the proposed causes include high blood pressure, elevated levels of cholesterol and triglyceride and cigarette smoke. 
  • You can reduce your risk of heart disease, stroke, and a heart attack by doing the following:
  1. Having a diet that is filled with fruits and vegetables and lean protein sources such as fish and chicken. Additionally, whole grains and low-fat and fat free foods are valuable as well. 
  2. Don't smoke.
  3. Watch your cholesterol. Your total cholesterol should be lower than 200 mg/dL with your LDL or bad cholesterol less than 130mg/dL and your HDL or good cholesterol 40mg/dL or higher for men and 50mg/dL or higher for women. Avoid trans fats such as partially hydrogenated oils found in many processed foods. Read this blog post: http://foodfitpolitics.blogspot.com/2013/03/hydrogenated-oils-trans-fats-salt-sugar.html
  4. Decrease your blood pressure. Your goal is to keep your pressure under 120/80 mm/Hg. You can reduce your blood pressure by limiting your salt intake and reducing your stress. High blood pressure is the LARGEST RISK FACTOR FOR STROKES! 
  5. MOVE! 30 minutes of physical activity per day!
  6. Maintain a healthy weight.
  7. Manage diabetes or prevent it all together. Skip the dessert AND HAPPY HOUR!!


         The Statistics...


  • High Blood Pressure, Obesity, Physical Inactivity, Excessive Alcohol use and Diabetes ALL put you at a greater RISK FOR HEART DISEASE AND HEART ATTACKS
  • Heart Disease is the No. 1 killer for ALL Americans, but the numbers are even higher for African-Americans 
  • 1 in 3 deaths in America can be attributed to Cardiovascular Disease
  • 1 in 100 African Americans develop heart failure in their 30s and 40s, this is 20 TIMES HIGHER than that of Caucasion Americans in their 30s and 40s
  • A study done from 2003 - 2007, found that 4 in 1, 000 Black men died of heart disease compared to 1.9 in 1, 000 White men and 2 in 1, 000 Black women died of heart disease compared to 1 in 1, 000 White women. Another study done around the same time looked at 15, 000 Cubans, Puerto Ricans, Mexicans, Dominicans, South and Central Americans living in four U.S. cities. This study found that 80% of the men and 71% of the women had AT LEAST ONE RISK FACTOR for Heart Disease
  • The rate of High Blood Pressure for African Americans is one of the highest in the world, and growing
  • Of Americans 20 years of age, 44.4% of Black women and 48.9% of Black men have cardiovascular disease compared to 36.6% of White men and 32.4% of White women
  • When it comes to Coronary Heart Disease, 6.8% of Black men and 7.1% of Black women over the age of 20 are affected compared to 8.2% of White men and 4.6% of White women - Note: This rate is only higher for White men versus Black men because Black men are dying earlier of other causes before they develop heart failure

A real change needs to occur. Here are some thoughts on how to make these changes a reality.


  • Invite a friend or family member to the gym with you. Getting in shape with someone else helps keep you accountable and can also be used as quality time. IF you are already a regular at the gym, a regular runner or cross fitter invite a friend or family member to come with you who isn't. We all have a loved one who isn't the healthiest, take them through a workout with you. Get them motivated. Encourage them. Meeting up at the gym after work instead of at happy hour could save your loved one's life!
  • Host a dinner party and cook healthy foods! Expose your friends to healthy options. 
  • Share healthy recipes via e-mail or Facebook
  • Start a workout group or running group
  • Play recreational sports.
  • If it's within 5 blocks, WALK!!
  • Explore alternative means of transportation such as your FEET or BIKE. I bike to work everyday and clock 40 to 50 miles a week. I will also occasionally will run places I have to go i.e the post office, dropping off rent, going to work or going to grab groceries. 
Sources:


No comments:

Post a Comment