Saturday, November 30, 2013

Confessions of a Trainer

It's funny how people seem to think that us trainers are super beings when it comes to health and fitness. I mean don't get me wrong we can be pretty awesome. And I have known a few trainers that are super anal--will pass up cake on their own birthday, eat alternative dishes on Thanksgiving and never eat candy. But the vast majority of us have some of the same obstacles to climb over and face some of the same daily challenges. Here are my confessions.

1. At this very moment I feel like my body got hit by a train.....and I haven't worked out since Tuesday (unless you include the small workout I did Thursday morning--I don't).

Attempt to conquer: I've been stretching and rolling with my lacrosse ball. I am debating taking yoga Monday morning, but will have to choose it over studying...studying might win.

2. One of the reasons I feel so awful is because since the end of Aug/beg of September I really haven't been working out much. 2-3 times a week---and lately even less---like once. And I am pretty sure there was a week here or there where I didn't workout at all.

Attempt to conquer: I am working out all week! And vowing to never do this again. I went shopping today and honestly was incredibly discouraged to try stuff on! Yes, sometimes, I too feel like I don't have the time for a workout. These last few months I have been obsessing over doing well in school-and while it's paid off--I don't believe I had to sacrifice my fitness to make it happen. It is about balance and it's also mental. You have to allow yourself to THINK you have the time-because the truth is YOU DO!

3. The other reason I feel like a train wreck is because I have been carrying a heavy backpack and lacking sleep.

Attempt to conquer: Working on conquering this! But I did purchase a cool bag to attach to my bike!

4. I LOVE CHOCOLATE!

Attempt to conquer: UNNECESSARY TO CONQUER! However, typically, my cravings cease after I indulge myself-and usually it doesn't take much to indulge. HOWEVER, the main way I conquer this is by simply not purchasing it. If I buy a pack of Snickers ice cream bars...it will be gone in 3 days..MAX! The only good news is that I don't even feel tempted to buy another box for MONTHS.

5. I love fried Ecuadorian food---but I almost only eat it when I'm in Brooklyn.

Attempt to conquer: .................

6. I probably can out eat all of you! Seriously...ask around!

Attempt to conquer:........BUT-I am constantly moving---even at times like this when I haven't been working out much, I ride my bike all over the city and do a lot of walking at times as well. Additionally, it is about what you eat-I generally eat lots of fruits and vegetables along with lean meats. I eat a lot because yes I LOVE TO EAT, but also because my body requires to energy.

7. More than sometimes I don't feel like working out and I don't feel like running.

Attempt to conquer: I recruit my trainer friends to workout and run with me and I make a sad face when they attempt to put on headphones! And sometimes I grab "civilian" friends workout and run with me!

8. I pick at my boyfriend's junk food-mainly the pizza. Most of the time (he knows me quiet well) he will just offer me a slice or half of the pie.

Attempt to conquer: We aren't talking NY pizza here, it's the frozen store bought kind-nothing spectacular or hard to pass up. Also, I make sure I eat before he even puts it in the oven.

9. Sometimes I get tired of salads. Sometimes as in A LOT!

Attempt to conquer: I drink those veggie smoothies you all turn your nose up at!

Ok that's all I have for now! I am sure Part 2 will come around soon enough--after all it is the Holidays!

No comments:

Post a Comment